Don't miss this opportunity to join an exclusive tour of Felton and surrounds, meeting the farmers and experiencing a diverse range of farming enterprises in action.
In 2017, Felton Food Festival is holding 2 farm tours!
On these tours you will be given a guided educational tour of 2 farms complete with excellent photo opportunities and viewing sites:
1. Dairy (60 head rotary) - Farmer: Ellerby Dairy (Rachael Parkes)
Ellerby Dairy is situated at Ellangowan, 20km south of Felton. Established in 2010, Ellerby is currently Queensland’s largest primary producer of fresh milk, completing around 800 lactations per year. Their modern milk production system comprises 1000 hectares of land, centre pivot irrigation and a total mixed ration feeding system. Cows are housed under shade sheds and milked 3 times per day to maximise production and cow comfort. All milk produced at Ellerby is bottled in Brisbane under the “Dairy Farmers” brand and distributed across south east Queensland.
2. Horticultural Enterprise - Farmer: Koala Farms (Anthony Staatz)
Felton district produces large quantities of fresh table salad and vegetables including broccoli, lettuce, spinach, cauliflower and more. The visit to this farm will open your eyes to the business of feeding the world.
1. Wagyu/Mixed Beef - Farmer: Marinya (House Family)
Four generations of the House family currently live and work at Marinya. Peter and Vera House are in their 80s, their son David and his wife Debbie live in the big homestead. Third-generation Nic and Jane House live in the restored shearers' quarters - it's where they're raising their own family and where they're also writing a blog called "Marinya Cottage Kitchen".
2. Horticultural Enterprise - Farmer: Carramar Figs (Alan and Catherine Richards)
Alan started producing hydroponic figs as a trial of 50 trees in between our truss tomatoes/cucumbers and eggplant, mainly because he loved figs and fig jam! These 50 plants expanded to 150 then to 350 then progressively over the last 3 years to total 3500 plants.
When: Saturday 25th March 2017
9am – 1.30pm: Departing Nobby
9am – 1.30pm: Departing Cambooya
- Half day guided tour of four Felton District Farms
- Morning Tea
- Opportunity to have local produce lunch at the historic Bull and Barley Inn Cambooya OR Rudd’s Pub Nobby (at own cost)
- Coach transport with pick up and drop off from Cambooya OR Nobby
All for just $50 per person